Tim Shelby has been recognized repeatedly as a successful young lawyer. He was named to the Texas Rising Stars list in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2013, which honors the best Texas lawyers under age 40 and those who have practiced less than 10 years. H Texas Magazine recognized him as a Professional on the Fast Track – Law in 2009.
Mr. Shelby focuses on complex commercial litigation. He routinely handles energy litigation, securities litigation, professional liability matters, and real estate disputes. Mr. Shelby also has represented a large electric and gas utility in a wide variety of commercial, environmental, property-damage, and personal-injury disputes. Prior to joining AZA, Mr. Shelby practiced for eight years in the litigation department of Baker Botts in Houston.
Mr. Shelby received his law degree from Harvard Law School in 2002. While at Harvard, he served as a Teaching Fellow in Harvard’s Department of Economics. Mr. Shelby received a Masters of Public Service and Administration from the Bush School of Government at Texas A&M University in 1999, where he was recognized as a Bush Fellow. Mr. Shelby received his undergraduate degree, summa cum laude, in economics and political science from Baylor University in 1997.
- Energy companies – Represented exploration and production companies, refining and petrochemical companies and pipeline companies in a wide variety of energy litigation matters, including breach of contract claims, tortious interference claims and trade secret misappropriation matters. Represented energy companies in disputes over exploration and production rights in foreign countries.
- Electric and gas utilities – Represented a large electric and gas utility in commercial, environmental, property-damage, and personal-injury disputes. Defended a large retail electric utility against breach of contract and deceptive trade practice claims.
- Accountants – Represented accounting firms in professional liability and securities matters brought under federal securities laws and the Texas Securities Act.
- Insurance brokers – Defense against professional-liability and business-tort claims asserted against one of the largest insurance brokers in the world.
- Commercial real estate developers – Defended developers against breach of contract, negligence and fraud claims.
- Aluminum extrusion facility – Successfully brought claims against previous owners of facility under CERCLA and the Texas Solid Waste Disposal Act for costs associated with remediation of contaminated soil and groundwater.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2002
- Teaching Fellow, Harvard Department of Economics, 2000-2002
- M.P.S.A., public service and administration, Texas A&M University, 1999
- Bush Fellow, 1997-1999
- B.A. (summa cum laude), economics and political science, Baylor University, 1997
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Named to Texas Rising Stars listing, 2008 – 2010, 2012
- Recognized by H Texas Magazine as a “Professional on the Fast Track — Law,” 2009
COURT ADMISSIONS AND AFFILIATIONS
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Southern and Northern Districts of Texas
- Institute for Energy Law, Advisory Board, 2010-2011
- Houston Bar Association, CLE Committee, 2008 & 2010
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
PUBLICATIONS, PAPERS AND CLE PRESENTATIONS
Strategies for Corporate Representative Depositions, 33rd Annual Corporate Counsel Institute, Houston, Texas, April 2011
*Internet mail is not fully secure or private. Therefore, please do not transmit confidential information via Internet mail. Transmission of information is not intended to and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not assume that your communications sent using Internet mail are privileged or confidential. Please do not send Ahmad, Zavitsanos, Anaipakos, Alavi & Mensing P.C. any confidential information via the Internet without previously consulting one of our attorneys.
**Nothing on this web page is intended to represent that Ahmad, Zavitsanos, Anaipakos, Alavi & Mensing P.C. currently represents any particular clients mentioned because matters and client relationships naturally terminate from time to time.
© 2013 Ahmad, Zavitsanos, Anaipakos, Alavi & Mensing P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved