Demetrios Anaipakos has been recognized as one of the most aggressive young trial lawyers in Texas, including in a lengthy profile published in the Daily Court Review in which Mr. Anaipakos was described as a “Houston trial lawyer leaving his mark.” Mr. Anaipakos’ high-profile cases and courtroom victories have attracted local, state-wide, and national attention. Mr. Anaipakos has appeared in the New York Times, the Chicago Tribune, the Houston Chronicle, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times,Newsweek, Businessweek, the USA Today, the National Law Journal, Texas Lawyer, and many other national and international periodicals. He has also appeared as a guest on Good Morning America, the CBS Early Show, the NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw, the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather, Moneyline with Lou Dobbs, Energy News Live, the BBC, as well as on several local and regional newscasts.
Mr. Anaipakos has been recognized by attorneys across the United States as one of the Best Lawyers in America for commercial litigation in the U.S. News & World Report survey. He’s recognized for his General Commercial Litigation work in Texas by the highly respected Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, published by London-based Chambers and Partners. Mr. Anaipakos has also been named to the Texas Super Lawyers list since 2004 and repeatedly made the Top 100 Houston Super Lawyers list. He has also been listed as one of the top lawyers in Houston by H Magazine. Mr. Anaipakos has earned a “distinguished” rating by Martindale-Hubbell, the premier legal directory in the United States.
Mr. Anaipakos represents plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial and securities fraud cases, high-stakes employment matters, as well as catastrophic personal injury claims. Mr. Anaipakos has tried cases in both state and federal courts and has been counsel in several significant cases involving allegations of damages into the hundreds of millions of dollars. Mr. Anaipakos is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, a distinction reserved for Texas trial lawyers with a high degree of trial experience and expertise.
Mr. Anaipakos has extensive experience handling significant matters for his clients. For instance:
- Mr. Anaipakos was hired a few months before trial to help Versata with the retrial of a significant patent case. Mr. Anaipakos and the AZA legal team were tasked with developing lost profits for Versata. On the eve of trial, the Court dismissed everything but the lost profits claim that AZA developed. With AZA’s help, Versata the second largest patent verdict reported to Verdict Search nationwide in 2011 as of May 31. Read about the patent verdict here.
- Mr. Anaipakos represented limited partners and their limited partnerships in a securities fraud claim against a publicly traded energy oilfield services company and its investment bankers in connection with a secondary public offering of the company’s stock.
- Mr. Anaipakos represented investors and a limited partnership in a jury trial alleging various breaches of fiduciary duties by the management of the partnerships.
- Mr. Anaipakos successfully represented Billy Gillispie, former head coach of the University of Kentucky Men’s Basketball Team, in litigation against the University of Kentucky Athletics Association and in defense of claims filed by the University of Kentucky. The case was closely monitored by the national media, and Mr. Anaipakos obtained a $3.25 million settlement in favor of his client; the settlement required the defendants to pay all of Coach Gillispie’s legal fees incurred to bring the case.
- Mr. Anaipakos represents a highly-successful energy trader and former employee in his multi-million-dollar claims against Saracen Energy and others.
- In an alleged class action, Mr. Anaipakos is lead counsel for a putative class of passengers alleging various breaches of warranty in connection with the alleged failure of the carrier to comply with various airworthiness directives.
- Mr. Anaipakos represents a significant number of former franchisees of DHL in major litigation pending in New York, Texas, and elsewhere relating to DHL’s decision to discontinue domestic overnight delivery services.
- Mr. Anaipakos represented the management team of an energy trading operation in connection with the decision by the trading company to discontinue its operations.
- Mr. Anaipakos represented a software company in a bet-the-company copyright infringement matter. The case settled on favorable terms on the eve of Mr. Anaipakos deposing the key defense witnesses.
- Mr. Anaipakos handled an audit malpractice case against KPMG on behalf of investors in an investment partnership. The settlement of the case was extraordinary, but is confidential at the request of the auditing firm.
- Mr. Anaipakos represented limited partners in an investment partnership in a securities fraud case against the auditor of the partnership. The case settled for a very significant sum during trial, shortly after Mr. Anaipakos delivered opening statements and cross-examined the lead audit manager.
- Mr. Anaipakos represented a class of accountants and clients in consolidated class actions against a major accounting firm.
- Mr. Anaipakos represented the Estate of Dr. Saleh Shenaq in a high-profile lawsuit against the Baylor College of Medicine and others. The case was settled on extremely favorable terms which, at the defendants’ request, are confidential.
- Mr. Anaipakos represented a very successful energy trader against his former firm. The case was settled favorably for Mr. Anaipakos’ client.
- Mr. Anaipakos represented the former CFO of an energy consulting firm in a case alleging tax fraud and other illegal activity by the consulting firm. Shortly after Mr. Anaipakos deposed the CEO of the consulting firm, the case settled favorable for a confidential sum.
- Mr. Anaipakos tried to verdict a complex commercial dispute on behalf of his client, Innovative Truck Storage.
- Mr. Anaipakos defended various individuals and a publicly-traded company in a case alleging securities fraud, breaches of fiduciary duties, and other matters. The case settled on the verge of trial: Mr. Anaipakos’ client did not pay a penny and, instead, received a significant payment as part of the settlement.
- Mr. Anaipakos represented a very successful doctor and medical practice in a commercial dispute with a regional hospital alleging, among other matters, violations of the antitrust and RICO laws. Shortly before trial, the case settled on confidential terms that were very favorable to Mr. Anaipakos’ client.
- Mr. Anaipakos obtained summary judgment on behalf of his client, one of the world’s largest trailer and industrial manufacturers, in a multiple fatality wrongful death case seeking millions of dollars in damages.
- Mr. Anaipakos was an active member of the trial team that successfully defended CBS and 60 Minutes in a high-profile defamation case tried to a jury in federal court in El Paso. After nearly two weeks of trial, the jury returned a defense verdict in favor of CBS and 60 Minutes. That case was later profiled as one of the nation’s most significant defense verdicts by the National Law Journal. In printed interviews with the press, Mr. Anaipakos’ co-counsel praised his performance: “In a word, he was absolute charm before a jury. If you’ve heard of consumer friendly, then Demetrios is jury friendly.”
- Mr. Anaipakos was also a member of the trial team that successfully obtained a jury verdict after nearly two months of trial in favor of a large oilfield services company. The amount of the judgment in favor of Mr. Anaipakos’ client exceeded twenty million dollars.
- Mr. Anaipakos was the lead lawyer representing Chung’s Gourmet Foods, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of egg rolls and a wide range of gourmet Chinese foods, in a contentious dispute with a competitor. After nearly two weeks of trial, Mr. Anaipakos obtained a verdict and judgment in favor of his client in the amount of nearly eighteen million dollars. Dr. Gene Chung, founder of Chung’s Gourmet Foods, described Mr. Anaipakos in media articles discussing the case as a “very intelligent and hard working lawyer who cared about my company and my case. I was extremely impressed with the job he did. The jury loved him. He was very comfortable and confident in Court.”
- Mr. Anaipakos helped lead a multi-state class action against one of the world’s largest food manufacturers. The class of current and former customers was certified after extensive hearings in federal court in Utah. The case settled for an eight-figure sum after class certification had been approved.
- Mr. Anaipakos was hired on the verge of trial to represent an aircraft retooling, sales, and leasing company in a high-stakes dispute against a powerful, Saudi company. The dispute, which had been pending for several years before Mr. Anaipakos was hired, involved the proposed sale of the personal DC-10 jet of the King of Saudi Arabia. On the first day of trial in federal court, the Defendant capitulated, agreeing to settle with Mr. Anaipakos’ client for a seven-figure sum.
- Mr. Anaipakos was lead counsel in an explosive race discrimination case brought by a former employee of a major airline. Before suit was ever filed, Mr. Anaipakos obtained a seven-figure settlement on behalf of his client.
- After several years of litigation, Mr. Anaipakos was asked to take over representation of a South Texas family practitioner in a highly-publicized dispute against general and limited partners in a tri-county hospital. Within six months of Mr. Anaipakos’ involvement in the case, Mr. Anaipakos obtained a seven-figure settlement in favor of his client.
- Mr. Anaipakos represented a California-based employee of a successful Internet company in a sexual harassment lawsuit against the company and its CEO. Shortly after the EEOC charge had been filed and before any lawsuit, Mr. Anaipakos settled the dispute for a substantial sum, equivalent to well over a decade of his client’s annual salary.
- When Margaret Ceconi, an Enron whistleblower, found herself in the national spotlight, she turned to Mr. Anaipakos for legal representation. Mr. Anaipakos has represented Ms. Ceconi before the Federal Bureau of Investigations, the Securities & Exchange Commission, various committees of the United States House of Representatives, various committees of the United States Senate, the Department of Justice, the Commodities Futures Trading Commission, and countless other state and federal agencies.
- Mr. Anaipakos acted as the lead lawyer for his client, Telscape International in a high-stakes courtroom battle against a massive, telecommunications giant. On the eve of trial, Mr. Anaipakos had the Defendants’ counterclaims thrown out in their entirety and obtained a multi-million dollar settlement in favor of his client.
Mr. Anaipakos’ fast-paced litigation practice has not stopped him from finding time to serve the community and the legal profession. Mr. Anaipakos is a frequent lecturer at CLE seminars, has served on various committees and positions within the State Bar of Texas, including as a member of the State Bar CLE Steering & Planning Committee for the State Bar Advanced Civil Trial CLE Course. For six years, he volunteered as the mock trial coach for a Houston-based high school that has won the city championship each of those six years. Mr. Anaipakos is actively involved in several bar associations and has been recognized as a Fellow of the Houston Bar Foundation and the Texas Bar Foundation.
Born in El Paso, Texas, Mr. Anaipakos graduated from Stanford University with an A.B. in Political Science and from Stanford Law School with a J.D. where he was an Associate Editor of the Stanford Law Review. After graduating from law school, Mr. Anaipakos clerked for the Honorable Edith H. Jones of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Mr. Anaipakos then began actively practicing trial law at Vinson & Elkins, L.L.P. where he represented plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial disputes as well as in significant tort cases. In March of 2000, Mr. Anaipakos joined an aggressive litigation boutique, Ahmad & Zavitsanos, and the Firm’s name was changed to Ahmad, Zavitsanos & Anaipakos P.C. Mr. Anaipakos is married to his wife, Kim, and they have two daughters, Olivia Grace and Stella Marie.
- Stanford University (A.B., with highest honors, Phi Beta Kappa, 1992)
- Stanford University Law School (J.D., 1995)
HONORS & DISTINCTIONS
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2010-2016
- Ranked in Chambers USA 2015
- Benchmark Litigation Star 2016
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2004-2015
- Top 100 Houston Texas Super Lawyers, four years including 2015
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Edith H. Jones, United States Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit (1995-1996)
- Associate Editor, Stanford Law Review, 1993-1995
- President’s Award for Academic Excellence at Stanford University
- Selected as one of ten students to represent academic excellence at Stanford University during the University’s centennial celebration
- Stanford University Award for Excellence in Political Science
- State Bar of Texas
- Admitted in all state and federal trial and appellate courts in Texas
- United States District Court for the District of Utah
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
- Hispanic National Bar Association